The benefits of shopping local are plentiful; economic prosperity, increased sense of community, reduced environmental impact… the list is long. Take it one step further and visit your local artists and artisans to find handcrafted gifts, made here, for everyone on your list.
1. Lofttan, Springwater Township ~ Expect to start hearing the name “Lofttan” and to start seeing their signature line of necklaces, bracelets and earrings everywhere you go. This unique jewellery line is on the verge of exploding onto the scene. Designed by April Mitchell-Boudreau in Springwater Township, the Lofttan collection wants to engage and inspire women to explore their creative side. Lofttan jewelry is made from gold and silver, semi-precious stones, man-made Crystal and a touch of Swarovski Crystal. Trent | Lily | Tristan
2. In addition to Jill Price’s contemporary mixed media artwork, Jill also creates beautiful greeting cards that are perfect for giving this season. You can find Jill’s art in her studio located in Lakeshore Mews, Barrie and also at Gallery 111, Barrie.
3. Brett Lundy handcrafts beautiful, contemporary furniture pieces that are as much sculpture as they are functional furniture, and as such, deserve to be the focal point in any room. Brett is one of the artists of Gallery 111, Barrie and his work can also be found at The Mad & Noisy Gallery, Creemore. Brett is at this year’s One of a Kind Show, it runs now through Sunday Dec 8.
4. Dotti Potts, Sandra Silberman, Barrie ~ Exquisite tableware, home decor, wall art and jewellery ceramics. Sandra uses a chip resistant porcelain clay as her medium and creates beautiful pieces that have a touch of whimsy and a gentle simplicity. Dotti Potts is located 324 Saunders Road in Barrie and her ceramics can also be found at Gallery 111. Sandra is also at this year’s One of a Kind Show, you still have time to get there, it runs through Sunday Dec 8.
5. Aarden’s Chocolates, Stayner ~ Delectable Dutch truffles and Belgian bonbons using the finest Belgian chocolate. Their festive holiday delights can be found in their delicious shop in Stayner and also at select fine food markets, like The Cheese Gallery, Thornbury.
6. Bruce Meyer, The Obsession Book of Timbuktu ~ It’s pretty difficult to imagine any gift list without a book. (for this reason we are going to dedicate an upcoming gift list post entirely to books!). However, since this is a “Made Here” list it would be remiss to not include a book of poetry by our own Poet Laureate Bruce Meyer. What makes this even more fitting is that his latest work, a poetic novel of obsession, also centers around our dear city, Barrie Ontario. The Toronto Quarterly Literary & Arts Journal published a great interview with Bruce that provides insight into both his life as a poet and the development of his latest work.
7. Leanne Mackle, R E S C U E, Collingwood ~ We are loving these vintage signs made from salvaged wood! Her signs are playful and fun and would be a welcome addition to the home or cottage.
8. Soapstones, Huntsville ~ We featured Soapstones as part of our Go Here | Huntsville series and absolutely love the entire line of handcrafted, natural and environmentally safe soaps – great stocking stuffers!
9. Bonnie Dorgelo, Collingwood ~ Bonnie’s describes her stunning jewellery collection as a “celebration of beauty, mystery and the spirit of life through the use of universal symbols, shapes and colour”. Wild River Bracelet | Hammered Earrings | Evening Myth Bracelet Bonnie is also a painter and creates colourful, elegant paintings that would be a beautiful addition to any home.
10. EcoInhabit, Meaford ~ Stunning solid wood furniture (love the live edge dining table!) is just a small portion of what is happening at EcoInhabit! They also specialize in kitchens and baths, interiors and renovations, their showroom is spectacular and worth a drive over to Meaford. Their furniture is one-of-a-kind and hand crafted using reclaimed or FSC woods and veneers with non-toxic wood finishes and paints. Taking their belief in sustainable building and farming practices further, EcoInhabit has created a home building company, Third Line Homes, that focusses on energy efficient, ecological and healthy homes.
11. AM Wood Skateboard Co., Meaford ~A small shop producing small batch and custom skateboards. Alistair McCall has taken his passion and turned it into a successful company whose skateboards are finding their way into the hands of riders around the world.
12. Pure Green Magazine, Huntsville ~ If there is anyone on your list who appreciates a great magazine, a subscription to Pure Green Magazine would make them extremely happy. This is a beautifully written and produced magazine with a focus on green lifestyle supporting artisans, small businesses and green designers from around the world. Exceptionally beautiful and highly curated this magazine is a visual feast that will have you eagerly watching your mailbox in anticipation of each volume.
For more great shopping ideas check out our Kid’s, Women’s and Men’s gift guides!
Images for Jill Price Art Cards, Brett Lundy furniture, Aarden’s Chocolate and Soapstones by Jennifer Klementti. All other images provided with permission.